Saturday, April 12, 2008

Billy Update

Hi folks,

I got an update from Dr. Billy today. It's a lot of info, so 'll just put the highlights here:

"I am unable to walk because the large bone (tibia) in my lower leg has not fused together and my left foot is frozen in an upright tippy-toe position (if I was a ballerina, that would be fine). Which means no ability to walk. Two more surgeries will be required; but the good news is we will be able to do both invasive surgeries and a third procedure all at the same time with one surgeon.

1. Remove the screw attaching the titanium rod at the top of my left tibia (they promise it won't just flop around inside my leg);
2. Go through the side of my calf to add donor bone (bone graft) and some high tech synthetic growth stimulator to the center of my tibia which remains broken and unattached; and
3. Surgically lengthen the tendon at the back of my heal so that my foot can go flat on the floor again.

A cast, a week in bed, back in the wheelchair, and three weeks after the surgery, I can start to use a walker and eventually crutches as the tendon repair and bone graft will begin to heal. The goods news? With a summer of rehab, I will walk again (with a limp the rest of my life, but walk upright like humans were intended nonetheless)!

For the next year or so, my lower left leg will continue to swell voraciously as the day progresses due to severe lymphedema caused by the accident-no pain in the morning, but pretty painful when it swells in the afternoon. The hope is that it will subside in time. But I will still have to wear nylon hose (thigh high left leg only)--it is a medical compression hose--not one you buy in the women's department at Wal-Mart. While it is a nylon hose, I want it to be known that it is medical equipment! No, "Our preaching professor wears nylon hose!" signs when I am preaching in chapel, please! My simple goal remains to walk onto campus for the onset of our fall semester!

Carol have elected [to have the surgery] Tuesday, April 29 in Henry County.... Your prayers and understanding are so greatly appreciated as Carol (who has through Herculean effort literally gotten me to and through my classes this semester in spite of my five surgeries and my inability to fully clothe myself) anticipate a two-for-one surgery accompanied with the hope and expectation (supposedly with minimal whining from me) that I can learn to walk again over the summer!

Thank you for your continued prayers! This too shall pass and I will walk again! Blessings, Billy"

Let's remember to keep Billy in our prayers!