Monday, May 24, 2010

Q&A!

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago the topic of a Q&A was brought up. I've been planning on making that happen, but was going to wait another week or so.

However, a particularly candid and sincere conversation I had after church on Sunday revealed that it may be more prudent to address some key issues and concerns sooner than later. Here's what I'd like to do:

This Sunday, I'm going to take a break from Matthew to do a special message on the atonement. This message will be very special and I think will answer a lot of questions about why the messages have taken the direction they have. During that message, I will have Q&A forms that you can write your questions on. After that message, we'll collect those and, over the following week, I'll do my best to develop answers for those questions and bring them back the next Sunday.

A teaser: most of us saw the benefit of saying that Jesus' Kingdom is not a "religion." I was glad for that, because a lot of Christians never come that far. However, we need to explore the implications of that. What is "religion?" What is the purpose of "religion?" Where does it come from? How does Christianity become "religion?" What is the difference between Christianity the "religion" and the kingdom Jesus and John have talked about? Why did Jesus have to die on a cross? How is that a "sacrifice?" What did that accomplish? What does any of that have to do with "violence?"

Please, if you haven't been to church for a while, consider coming back for these two messages. I think they are very important and will answer a lot of questions.

Thanks!

Jason