Friday, February 12, 2010

Susan Woods

This came to me from Jan Abernathy today;
For those of you who know Susan Woods, this post from her Caring Bridge account:

My apologies to all who have patiently waited for me to post an update, but our flight was delayed and we were very late getting in last night. I am still floating on cloud nine from the news that I am not going to do any more chemo at this time.

We had very good news this trip and my doctor was very pleased with my response to the chemo. Life is good and God is great! For anyone reading that does not believe in the power of prayer and miracles, I hope my news convinces you God is real and is still in control. I went from a very bleak prognosis of being told initially I might have 6-12 months and if I was lucky with the chemo 1-2 years to a prognosis with hope for more years and slight possibility of a cure.

Dr. Seiffker did not have the actual radiology report, but she did have the pictures to compare to all of the previous scans and it was very obvious the tumor in my lung had shrunk more than 50%. She does not like for patients to need the 5th and 6th rounds of the aggressive chemo regimen I have been taking because the few that have taken it have experienced nerve damage, particularly in the hands and feet. She feels we are ready to consult with a thoracic surgeon to see if the remainder of the metastatic tumor in the lung can be surgically removed. She was not in favor of doing radiation surgery since it is a metastic tumor and she said the chance of them getting it all with clean margins is not as good with the radiation as it is with surgery. She very much wants me to have the surgery at MD Anderson in Houston.

I am going to a surgeon at St. Josephs in Atlanta and going to one in Houston to see what they both have to say. I would love to have the surgery in Atlanta because it would be easier (convenience, time and financially) on my family; However, if it appears the surgery and recovery will be best for me if done at MD Anderson, that is exactly what we will do.

Dr. Seiffker said I have been one of the better responses of patients in the trial. Based on the response she feels confident that I have gained more years and even a slight chance that I may be cured with the surgery. Only time will tell if this be the case. They will continue to follow me with scans every 3 months then progress to every 6 months after the surgery. She does have a couple of patients that have no recurrence of cancer since their treatment and surgeries for 3-5 years. Remember the trial has only been going on for 5 years.

We are optimistic and still frog (fully relying on God). Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. God has used y'all in our lives in a big way. You have been such a blessing to us. Love and God's blessings to you all.