Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cross Walk Email


Hey everyone,

I was talking to a couple of folks after service today about the Crosswalk and saying that I'd already been able to raise a little money by sending an email to the people I work with at the college. They asked that I send everyone what I put in my email. So here it is! I recommend pasting the content below into your own email and sending it to people you know. You can also change it to suit your own contacts better.

Hello friends and colleagues,

Two years ago my church, Castle Christian Church, started an event called the “Crosswalk.” On Good Friday we take turns carrying a large cross through downtown Cumming. It is a way for us to literally live out Jesus’ command to “pick up our cross and follow.” It also leads well into our Easter celebration on Sunday. We carry the cross through town, stop at the end, take communion, have a devotional service, and commemorate Jesus’ crucifixion by nailing nails into the cross. On Easter, we celebrate the empty cross and the empty tomb. It’s been covered by the local newspaper both years. This year will be our third year.

When we started we decided we don’t just want the event to be symbolic. We want to also bear a real burden for the world. So each year we’ve used the event to raise money or resources for a community need. The first year we benefitted HomeAid Atlanta. The second, a sister church’s food bank. This year we want to benefit God’s Ministry in LaGonave.

God’s Ministry in LaGonave is a ministry involving Laura Clancy-Dalla, a friend of our church. Laura is now a missionary in Haiti, married to YBene Dalla. They are currently working to build a school for the children of Belle-vie on the Haitian island of LaGonave.

I’m writing to you to ask you to consider sponsoring me in the Crosswalk. We are trying to raise around $3000 for this exceptional cause. If you’d like to sponsor me, just respond to this email and let me know. You can also go directly to this website: http://godsministryinlagonave.org/Resources.html and click the “donate” button to sponsor us online. In that process, I’m told there’ll be an opportunity to indicate that you are sponsoring me in the crosswalk.

To learn more about our event and our goal go to: http://castlechristian.com/good-friday-cross-walk/. Thank you for considering sponsoring me!


Thanks!
Jason